Saturday, February 14, 2009

Tuesday's commute and fall

Tuesday, Feb. 10
Temperature: 30 morning, 62 afternoon
Mileage: 8

Tuesday started out Great! Temps were warmer than normal in the morning, and the high was expected to top 60 degrees again - in February! The morning commute was uneventful. There was a little broken glass on the new sidewalk along the north side of Adams St. between 80th and 84th, but nothing that I couldn't dodge. The evening commute started out great - temps were in the low 60's again so it was shorts, T-shirt and a light jacket. Everything else was packed in the backpack. I was rounding the corner at 79th and Garland, taking it a bit wide due to my speed and the unusual corner. Then I saw the minivan coming north on 79th about 1/2 block from my corner. I decided to cut in a little to keep my track in the southbound lane. At that moment, the bike slid out from under me and I was on the pavement. My right elbow, shin and thigh ended up scraping the pavement and the air was knocked out of me temporarily. The driver of the minivan got out to check on me. After I was able to breath again, I told her that I took the corner too wide and decided to cut it in slightly when I saw her. I was OK - no broken bones, and the bike seemed OK. She determined that I was OK when I stood up, and she went on her way. I slowly pedaled home the remaining few blocks. It looks I will be nursing my right side for a couple weeks, then it is back on the bike again!

No comments: