Monday, April 20, 2009

Movie Monday

Forty percent of trips Americans make are less than 2 miles, which is a bikeable distance for just about anyone. Knowing how to prepare, ride in traffic, and what to anticipate is something we all need to know. There are things I wasn’t aware of when I first started riding in traffic. Sure, I’ve known how to ride a bike since I had my first set of training wheels as a child, but there were things I needed to become aware of. For example, I didn’t know the law says a cyclist can take the whole lane for safety’s sake. Before that I would cling to the side of the road wondering how I would survive when there was not enough room and cars came too close. Now I know, when I need to take the lane I can.

However, there are times when taking the WHOLE lane is downright selfish, and disasterous to the one who doesn't get the lane. Watch this cycling race the Tour of Turkey, and see what happens about 4 minutes into the video.

No comments: